What is it about the summer months that makes you feel like you want to escape your life and experience something fabulous?
Lucky for us all, escapism comes in many forms; whether you are traveling to an exotic, far-flung location or just escaping for an hour or two and becoming completely absorbed in a great book.
Time to read is truly one of life’s great luxuries. And so, every summer, we thoughtfully choose our can’t-wait-to-read list – a well-balanced mix of professional reading, humanistic tomes and lighter fare.
Here’s what’s making the cut this summer:
- Carpe Diem: Seizing the Day in a Distracted World – Because in our overly scheduled, multi-tasking world, who doesn’t need this reminder?
- How to Be Everything: A Guide for Those Who (Still) Don’t Know What They Want to Be When They Grow Up– A great read to inspire us all to continue to learn, grow and explore; and turn it into a way of life.
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers – This is the perfect read for anyone wanting to boost their productivity and be their best.
- Superbosses: How Exceptional Leaders Master the Flow of Talent – A fascinating exploration of the world’s most successful bosses in a wide cross-section of industry – think football coach Bill Walsh, restauranteur Alice Waters, television executive Lorne Michaels, technology CEO Larry Ellison and fashion pioneer Ralph Lauren.
- One Mission: How Leaders Build a Team of Teams – Obviously, a subject matter near and dear to our hearts; but a must-read for anyone hoping to make their organization less hierarchical and more interconnected.
- Runnin’ With the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock, and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Making of Van Halen – If you were alive and kicking in the 80s, you will enjoy the behind the scenes narrative; but more than just a juicy read, it’s an interesting take on the machine behind the making and molding of a rock star super group.
- Are You Fully Charged? The 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life – This best-selling book outlines the importance of three valuable conditions that are essential to our daily well-being and ability to be engaged in our work.
- Milk and Honey – A beautiful collection of poetry dedicated to surviving adversity and loss with a decidedly feminine bent.
- The Handmaids Tale – We are completely obsessed with the Hulu television series of the same name, so we are delving into the original book, published by Margaret Atwood in 1986.
Need more? This summer literary stalwarts John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, Dean Koontz, Nora Roberts and Elin Hilderbrand all have new offerings.
Enjoy your escape … happy reading.