The range of health bonuses now attributed to exercise has surprised even doctors. Research suggests that just 30 minutes of physical activity everyday is all that’s required to reap HUGE benefits. This is good stuff.
10. Stay well. Moderate workouts temporarily rev-up the immune system by increasing the aggressiveness or capacity of immune cells. That may explain why people who exercise catch fewer colds. See ya later FLU season.
9. Prevent heart attacks. Exercise raises “good” HDL cholesterol and lowers blood pressure, AND new research shows it reduces arterial inflammation, another risk factor for heart attacks and strokes. Make your own Heart of Gold!!
8. Promote Better Sleep. Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Better sleep helps with just about everything. Just don’t exercise too close to bedtime, or it will backfire.
7. Control blood sugar. Exercise helps maintain healthy blood-sugar levels by increasing the cells’ sensitivity to insulin and by controlling weight. Regular brisk walking can significantly cut the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This is scary stuff that can actually be magically cured with nutrition and exercise!
6. Protect against cancer. Exercise reduces the risk of colon-cancer by speeding waste through the gut and lowering the insulin level. You know what I’m talking about, right? Get moving!
5. Combat stress. Regular aerobic exercise lowers stress hormone levels. Exercise can relieve depression as effectively as antidepressant medication in many instances. It’s the new Happy Pill. I don’t know about you, but if I don’t exercise, I get REALLY grumpy.
4. Relieve hot flashes. Increasing fitness by walking or practicing yoga enhances mood and reduces some menopausal symptoms, such as hot flashes and night sweats. That alone is worth shaking your bootie.
3. Maintain a healthy weight. While nutrition plays an enormous role in weight maintenance, a regular exercise routine helps build muscle, stabilize metabolism and burns excess calories. Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue still may call afterall.
2. Live longer. Studies lasting many years have consistently shown that being active cuts the risk of premature death by about 50 percent for men and women.
And the NUMBER ONE REASON TO EXERCISE…
Keeps you young. If you improve your aerobic capacity by just 20 to 25 percent with a bit more strenuous activity, you can shave 10 to 20 years off your biological age. Look and feel better–inside and out. Aerobic exercise may also stimulate the growth of new brain cells in older adults. Younger AND Wiser? Count me in!
The Fountain of Youth is right at your fingertips. See you at the gym!